What is email marketing?
Email marketing is a type of digital marketing that’s based on sending e-mails to clients with relevant, useful, and nudging content. The goal of email marketing is to increase sales, boost customer loyalty, and deliver important information to them. Two basic characteristics of email marketing are regularity and personalization.
What is an email newsletter?
An email newsletter is emails that are sent regularly to a specific group of recipients at a scheduled frequency. Professionally done newsletters improve brand awareness, build relationships with customers, and increase sales. Other tasks partially or completely covered by newsletters: promotion and advertising of services, informing about promotions.
Why is it important to design newsletters correctly?
The first thing that the newsletter recipient pays attention to is design and layout. And only then, if the visual component caused positive emotions, they begin to read the text. Harmony in the letter structure, images, and illustrations, formatting elements in the text, the right combination of colors – all this determines whether the user will read from beginning to end and perform the intended action.
Another reason why the newsletter design is just as important as the text is email providers and their algorithms. Newsletters with layout errors and emails incorrectly displayed on mobile can be automatically marked as spam.
The pros of email marketing
- Quick start. Setting up and launching newsletters takes less time compared to other digital marketing channels.
- Profitability. Compared to email marketing services, pricing other promotion methods can be much higher, so newsletters pay off quickly.
- Understandability. It takes very little time to understand the basics of email marketing.
- Flexibility. You can segment subscribers and send emails to 100% target users.
- Analytics tools. After launching a newsletter, you can track a variety of metrics.
The cons of email marketing
- The user can unsubscribe at any time. According to the rules, a button or link for unsubscribing should be in every letter.
- The subscriber can register a new email address and abandon the old one. After a while, this old email is blocked by the email provider. Sending emails to non-existent addresses harms the behavioral metrics and reputation of the business that launched the newsletter.
- No email marketing services company will be able to run newsletters without a contact database. If you’re just starting your online business, it will take time to build a mailing list.